June 19, 2012

Dungeon World: Kickstarting My Heart

Ok.  I have a confession to make.  I have yet to back anything on Kickstarter.  I know, I know.  I'm not supporting all the great Board Game, RPG and Video Game projects that are being made.  I'm missing out on all of those cool Backer rewards.  Trust Me!  I've wanted to.  My greatest failure was actually forgetting, FORGETTING to back Shadowrun Returns.

All of this is about to change.  I've stumbled on a project today that really sings to my latest interest.  Old School Fantasy Adventuring.  I've been reading the most excellent Dungeon Crawl Classics and it really has me longing for a return to form for my Fantasy RPGs.



Enter Dungeon World.

Dungeon World promised to combine modern rules with old school style.  I heard about this what seems like ages ago.  A rules hack for Apocalypse World which emulated old school D&D as opposed to the dark and deviant setting that is standard for the game.  Apocalypse World is supposed to have some good mechanics backing it.  Stuff that ties characters together and rules that don't get in the way.  From what I understand it has many "Indie" RPG mechanics.

Fast forward to now and Dungeon World is already well past being funded.  In fact, it is currently 1,281% Funded.  Yea.  They overshot the goal that much with over a week to go.

So I'm going to throw in my $5 at least.  For that price you get the PDF and PDF copies of the exclusive Kickstarter Backer supplements.  At that price point I can't help but give in to curiosity.  For those that want a little more there are tons of other backer levels that include softcover and hardcover books.  All of which are priced nicely.

The game will operate under an open Creative Commons license as well.  The developers want it to inspire others and let them run amok with what they have created.  I think this is a great approach as it is even more open than the typical OGL.

Modern Mechanics + Old School Style + Great Art + Great Price.  I'm on board.

You still have 11 days to go.  Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment