August 15, 2012

Gen Con! Gen Con! Gen Con!

Yes it is that time of year again.  The time when the board, card, war and roleplaying gamers of the world unite for one hell of a weekend in America's Midwest.  I'm talking about Gen Con Indy of course.  Every year companies hold back the best of the best and release them just in time for the convention.  Countless demos, tournaments, roleplaying sessions and LARPS will run around the clock to make up the best four days in gaming.

Unfortunately, this year Real Life got in the way.  I'll have to sit by the sidelines and watch as the rest of my gaming group basks in the glory that is Gen Con.  What I will do is try and keep up with any special announcements and news and report back with the things that really catch my eye.

Of course for those of you that are lucky enough to go, you have a metric ton of products releasing this year that look really good.  I'm going to spend some time talking about the ones that have me excited.  Be sure to check them out, get a demo in or just plain buy them! No, really.  Do it.  It might help me cope from the withdrawal.

 

Privateer Press

  • The first of the two item's I'm having picked up by my personal army of Gen Con ninjas, Iron Kingdoms Roleplaying Game Core Rules is releases as the convention hall opens.  The epic setting of the widely successful Warmachine and Hordes is coming back to your RPG table in a big way and this time with a brand new rules system.  I am eager to see the rules system that Privateer Press has created.  I know there are demos and some introduction scenarios scheduled so check it out if you get the chance.  


Fantasy Flight

  • Netrunner!  This is the second item I was sure to have someone pick up for me.  Fantasy Flight is bringing back Richard Garfield's famous card game back in the form of one of their Living Card Games.  Netrunner is an asymmetrical card game that has Netrunners (hackers of the future) doing battle with the Megacorporations that hold the world's power.  The rulebook is already available if you want to check out the mechanics.  The game releases Thursday when the doors open and a tournament is already planned for Friday.





  • X-Wing also comes out on Thursday.  This is a tabletop war game that focuses on the space battles of Star Wars.  So far the set covers the Rebellion Era and too be honest looks quite good. I read over the rules and there is plenty to like.  Outfitting ships with upgrades and different pilots, hidden movement orders and the miniatures look pretty good too.  It reminds me of Wings of War a little bit in that regard.


MERCS Miniatures

  • MERCS is a game I (hopefully) be talking more and more about as the year goes on.  It is a great looking squad-based skirmish game with some really fun mechanics.  They will have their two new MegaCons up for sale, Texico & ISS. 


Play Attention Games

  • curse the darkness is a game I only recently stumbled on (full review on the way, I promise).  It was written and created by Matthew McFarland who wrote a large chunk of one of my favorite RPGs - Promethean: The Created.  This is another horror game but something that differs very much from what you might expect.  The game uses a unique card mechanic and death is extremely common and almost neccessary to achieve the groups goals.  Session prep is minimal as well, having the group come up with the intended length and setting of their story just minutes before starting to play.  The setting is great.  Truly some inspiring stuff. Very, Very Good.  It was the result of a successful Kickstarter campaign and the backers are picking up their books at the Con.  There just might be a few extras through, so if this sounds intriguing be sure to seek it out.  The PDF is already up for sale too as another option.  I figure there should be some pick up games of this going on in the Indie area.


Redbrick LCC

  • Blue Planet Revised is coming out.  The "water-punk" setting is probably my favorite Sci-Fi setting and the rules are getting a slight makeover (but not a new edition, Revised is supposed to be fully compatible with v2).


Whitewolf / Onyx Path Publishing

  • The BIG announcement?  There is supposed to be some kind of BIG announcement regarding the publishing end of White Wolf Games.  Some new branch called Onyx Path?  The website is up here and I'll be sure to post about the news once I get word of it.

  • Mummy: The Curse is also coming out.  Some more World of Darkness is a good thing.




Well there we have it.  Those are the products I'm most excited to see come out this year.  I'm sure there are all kinds of other games that are not on my radar that are absolutely fantastic.  If you find one be sure to leave a comment below!  I'd love to hear about it.


With that I leave you to prepare for the most epic weekend in gaming.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment